For example, to the extent that the marriage is defined by contempt and stonewalling, that is bad news, as marriages often do not recover from high levels of contempt between the spouses.
On the other hand, if the relationship has high levels of criticism and defensiveness, but relatively low levels of stone walling and contempt, that marriage can usually be advanced and evolved.
Dr. Parker Wilson is an expert in helping married and long term couples (and their families, as needed) work though all of the following and more:
- Depression, anxiety, or anger in one or both partners.
- Feelings of dissatisfaction, helplessness, fear, or boredom.
- Dealing with a teen that is spiraling out of control
- "Mid-life crises" and other existential problems.
- Child-rearing disagreements and / or blended family challenges.
- Traumas associated with childhood abuse.
- Alcohol, substance, and sex addictions.
- Sexual incompatibility.
- Ingrained religious, ethnic, or cultural differences.
- A generalized feeling of emptiness or being stuck in mundane routines.